Reality

I iced.
I rested.
I stretched.
I foam-rolled.
I got massages.
I coated it in icy hot.
I soaked it in epsom salt
I took Aleve/Ibuprofen etc.

Even though I have done all those things, my IT band is still cranky and I still can’t run. To say I am frustrated is an understatement at this point. I had the best training of my life this year. I was easily headed for a 10+ minute PR and re-qualifying for Boston. (This was supposed to be my BBQ, Bagwell Boston Qualifier). This was my year and all the races leading up to it were proving it.

When I first started having issues with my piriformis, I instantly stopped running.I was not messing around and was not going to risk making things worse. However, shortly after that I started having IT band issues.  I rested some more, but I wasn’t giving up. I had put in a good amount of work and was convinced I could still run the marathon; my goal times could still be reached.

Now that the race is just days away, I realize that I can’t run. I haven’t ran in weeks, and haven’t ran pain free in over a month. I have to make a decision on whats best for me and it sucks. I know running with this pain will make it worse and will put me out of commission for a very long time.  This was an extremely tough decision for me to make. For awhile I told myself that I had to at least start the race and give it a shot. Maybe by some miracle my leg would be ok and I could run. If I dropped out that was fine but I had to give it a shot. I had to start. However, the reality is that I can’t. My IT band is not better and still needs a few more weeks to heal.

Sad Logo

So this Sunday, when all my friends are toeing the line for one of the biggest races in Cleveland, I will be on the sidelines. This year I will not run the Cleveland Marathon :( I will be somewhere around mile 12 cheering everyone on. I figured this was the best spot so that I could see the full and half runners and still make it to the finish for the marathoners.

If you are going to the expo this weekend, look for The Logo and take a picture and I’ll put it on the blog!

John, Kali and Uncle H with The Logo

Good Luck to everyone racing this year, leave everything out on the course and run a mile for The Logo.

Maybe I’ll even have some #liveclemarathon tweets on Sunday ;)

About these ads

About Jessica M.

30 something runner from Cleveland, OH. I am an avid runner, marathon maniac and Boston Marathoner. I have completed 12 marathons and am an Offficial Blogger for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon.I am also a Proud ambassador for Nuun I enjoy traveling, running, my Croatian heritage Hokas, baking, plaing tambura, reading, sno cones, anything pumpkin flavored, swedish fish, Kinder chocolates, racing, marshmallows, my amazing husband and our puppy Bodhi. Contact me at: MojaMala2blog@gmail.com

22 Responses to Reality

1. rn4atsm says:

This sucks… but you can come have beer at the Mile 24 – errr 25 Stop with otehr Ragnar runners Jill and Chris Cole and we can drink and throw stuff at the runners

2. Suburbrunner says:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you heal up well and will hit a big PR this fall!

3. Kali says:

So sorry to hear that. The race will always be there, so rest up and feel better soon! I’ll look for you on the course!

4. Really sorry to hear about this. I feel guilty since running is about 800 times more important to you than it is to me. I shouldn’t take it for granted like I do.

However, it sounds like you’re making the right decision and all you can do is move forward in the best way possible for yourself. Future Logo will be very pleased that Present Logo is giving her the best chance possible to accomplish her running goals.

Good luck with your recovery. Thanks for supporting fellow runners. And for not running around stabbing people’s IT bands out of spite like I would.

5. Sorry to hear about your injury, but hopefully this rest will allow you to have a successful rest of the racing season.

6. Dude… I feel like I just found out Santa isn’t real.

7. Awwwwww…….I’m so sad for you! But I’m glad to hear you’re making the best decision for you.
    Hopefully I’ll see you Sunday!

8. I’m so sorry to hear this! I know it was a really hard decision for you but I believe you made the right one. Have to take care of yourself! Hope you heal up quick and are back to running soon. ((hugs))

9. Holly says:

I’m so sorry to hear this Moja. :(

You are doing the right thing. I’m happy you will be cheering along the route for both the half and full marathoners. It’s the next best thing… right? Hang in there!

10. Shoot. :( I’m really sorry about this. I know you’re being smart by resting it and not running while it hurts but still… SUCKS.

11. lifeisarun says:

Oh man that is really hard!! So sorry to hear that, but way to go on make a smart decision for you! Hope you end up having a fun day of cheering people on!

12. heatheroravec says:

Sorry to hear that! Sending healing thoughts your way!!!

13. Renee says:

I’m so sorry to read this and I can’t even imagine how difficult this decision must have been. However, you’re absolutely doing the right thing and I’m sure you’ll soon be back at it and better than ever. Sending you virtual hugs!

14. poiseinparma says:

You know you’re doing the right thing. Cleveland will always be there. As will Boston. Rest up and come back stronger in 2013. You’ll always be our LOGO!!

15. Aw, I’m so sorry! Kudos to you for making a tough decision that you know is the best for you in the long run (no pun intended). Take care!

16. Becca says:

Better to take the time off than make it any worse. You’re a bigger person than me, I knew I was headed for a stress fracture and I still ran my first marathon. Good for you Jess :) Stop by and cheer on runners with us at mile 19 if you have a chance!!!

17. Salty says:

Super Bummer! So sorry your IT band is misbehaving. That stupid strip of tissue or whatever it is can be such a pain! Hopefully it gets better soon so you can bounce back and have the Summer of the PR!

18. SOSOOSOSOSOOSOSOOSOSOSSSSOOOOO sad to hear this news today! I really had no doubt you’d be running. But it’s def a wise decision. Still think you deserve a Logo float for the race.

I couldn’t fine the Logo pic at the expo but I had to bolt out to my Jennifer appt so I didn’t even shop around. They should give that to you btw. You need it for your apt.

19. I’m so sorry girl, I’ve been there and it sucks. Sending big virtual hugs your way.

20. mollyberries says:

Hugs to you buddy! I’ve been in your shoes, but I started the race and had to drop out at mile 22 b/c of my IT band and couldn’t run again for almost a year. It was hell on earth. This is definitely the best decision for you. But after I recovered from my IT band issues, that’s when I scored my BQ! :)

21. David Peters says:

I have been there and can feel your pain. I got injured going into my taper for Chicago last year and could only run/hobble 8 miles of it. Guess what, you will come back stronger and more focused for the next one. I know that I did. Heal up and get back out there soon!!!!!!

22. Pingback: How It Happened Part 1 | mojamala2