A little help from the Official Cleveland Marathon Bloggers on how to fuel

I decided to ask the Official Cleveland Marathon bloggers 3 specific questions on how they fuel because EVERYONE FUELS DIFFERENTLY! What works for one person doesn’t work for someone else. It is a formula you have to play around with to see what works for your body.

Here are their answers.

Jessica from Go Run Jess said:

1.) what do you eat before a run?
Before a run (or swim or bike or kettle bell class) I’m eating a small amount of natural carbs and protein – good example is a shredded coconut with a couple tablespoons of almond butter.

2.) what do you eat after a run?
After a workout I eat protein & some veggies – good example is a hard boiled egg and some sweet potato.

3) what do you eat the night before a race?
The night before a race (though the only recent one I did involved my kayak!) is my normal meal – healthy protein, lots of veggies and fruit.

Jamie from Jamie Johnston’s Journey said:

1.) What do you eat before a run?
I always run in the morning and find I wake up HUNGRY! I usually make my way down to the kitchen, have ½ a caramel rice cake with some PB2, a few scoops of Greek yogurt, and a third of a quest bar. I know it’s a strange combination but I find it works for me. It has a good amount of protein and carbs.

2.) What do you eat after a run?
After a run I LOVE to have a smoothie! I got a vitamix for Christmas and it seriously has been life changing . My smoothies are typically the following combination:
1 ½ cups water
Handful of kale
2 scoops of protein powder
1 cup of frozen strawberries
½ frozen banana
½ cup frozen blueberries
Then after making I like to add a few fresh blueberries, changes up the consistency a bit.

Ohhh and post run I always have a Nuun in water. Totally helps with recovery and so I don’t get a headache.

3) What do you eat the night before a race?
The night before a race I love to eat oatmeal with fruit. The fruit is usually some bananas and strawberries. I find it helps my stomach and provides me with the carbs I need for race day.

Jamie also posted about it fueling here.

Steph from Steph Plus Four said:

1.) What do you eat before a run?
The night before a run I usually eat chicken and rice or chicken and pasta. I have to be really careful to not eat something out of the ordinary because I know I will be paying for it on the run.

2.) What do you eat after a run?
Before a run I usually have a bagel or toast with peanut butter and banana and water. Seems to work well for me.

3) What do you eat the night before a race?
After a run, all I want to do is usually crush some Chipotle, which is also my 2-day pre-run fuel. I’m addicted to the chicken bowl with a scoop of white and brown rice, black beans, tomatoes, corn salsa, and cheese!

Brian from Run Swanson said:

1.) What do you eat before a run?
I usually don’t eat anything before a run. Sometimes I will have a cookie if I’m really hungry.

2.) What do you eat after a run?
After AM runs I will have breakfast which consists of a bowl of greek yogurt and a bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar. After PM runs I usually have dinner. If it’s a workout I’ll also have a protein drink. I used to drink chocolate milk after runs but I’ve stopped doing that.

3) What do you eat the night before a race?
I don’t have a specific pre-race meal; I just eat whatever I happen to have cooked for dinner that week.

Michelle from Run, Bake, Blog said:

1.) What do you eat before a run?
I have to run on an empty stomach – Have to!

2.) What do you eat after a run?
Usually run in the AM so my normal breakfast which is often my homemade pumpkin baked oatmeal or egg whites with spinach & tomatoes. Oh, and coconut water!

3) What do you eat the night before a race?
Something that I would normally eat, I am not running a distance that is enough to really call for a special meal the night before a race. I personally feel that unless you are running and hour+ that it is pretty much business as usual, our bodies have PLENTY to keep us going! I am a 100% clean eater; whole foods and very little protein from meat and poultry, if anything.

_____________________________________________________________

So many great answers, thank you bloggers!

Now, how would you answer these questions?

About these ads

About Jessica M.

30 year old runner from Cleveland, OH. I am an avid runner, marathon maniac and Boston Marathoner. I have completed 11 marathons and am an Offficial Blogger for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. I enjoy traveling, running, Nike Lunar Glides, baking, reading, sno cones, anything pumpkin flavored, swedish fish, Kinder chocolates, racing, marshmallows, my amazing husband and our puppy Bodhi. Contact me at: MojaMala2blog@gmail.com

One Response to A little help from the Official Cleveland Marathon Bloggers on how to fuel

1. annarnorris says:

If I’m running during the week, I am running after work so I don’t typically eat anything so it won’t upset my stomach. But if I’m running first thing in the morning I have a banana and either a piece of toast w/ a little but butter or half a protein bar.

The night before a a big race, like a half marathon, I try to eat a normal size dinner with protein and carbs. I try and make my lunch the day before a big race a bigger, carb meal.

After my weekend long runs I like to drink chocolate milk and half a bagel to recover afterwards. Sometimes after a really long run or a long distance race I don’t have a huge appetite that day and eat normal meals. However, in those cases I’m always super hungry the following day, what most runners refer to as “run-gry.”