Over the past couple months I have made the transition to a morning workout person. I will be the first to admit that it was not an easy thing to do, I love sleeping in, who doesn’t. I also love being able to come home from work and not have to run, eat dinner and go to bed.
At first I started out by working out in the morning if I had something to do after work. This way I was guaranteed to get my workout in. I would hit the snooze multiple times but would eventually, slowly drag myself to the gym. Once there I was fine. Getting there was the hard part.
I eventually started going every morning and guess what? It got easier and easier to get up at the god awful time of 4:40am. Seriously, if I take a rest day I wake up at 5am (on my own) and am like “OMG!!! I over slept!!!” Nope, just used to early morning workouts.
Here are my tips to get yourself out the door and to the gym.
- Have everything ready to go and laid out the night before. Gym bag packed, Ipod charged and clothes ready. Even have your shoes untied so you can just slip your feet in and go.
- Sleep in your gym clothes. I will sleep in my tank, sports bra and socks most days. That way when I get up all I have to do is throw on shorts and go. (Bringing sexy back, I know)
- Put your Ipod on your night stand. When the alarm goes off, instantly turn your Ipod on and put in your ear buds (don’t want to wake the whole house). The music will wake you up and get your moving.
- Don’t think! When the alarm goes off, don’t even think about how tired you are or talking yourself into a few more minutes of sleep. As soon as you start to think about it, you talk yourself out of it.
- Bribe yourself. I tell myself I can have a special coffee to reward myself for working out. Seems counter productive but after my workout I usually decide I don’t want or need it. (Shopping Bribes work too)
- Move your alarm clock. Preferably across the room.
- Grab a friend. Have a friend meet you for an early morning workout, can’t skip when you are meeting up with someone.
- Go to bed early. Duh. Go to bed early wake up early. Pretty much rocket science right there folks.
If those tips don’t help, maybe it will help just know that you burn more calories by working out in the morning. Talk about jump starting your day!
Are you a morning worker outer? Any tips that help you wake up?