My past 2 Track Tuesdays have ended up as Treadmill Tuesday. Since the track surprisingly does not look like this.
And looks more like this.
Sorry, my paint skills are lacking. That’s snow and ice on the track. Not even a single lane is clear and only a crazy person would shovel a track. Although, I did drive around to 3 tracks to see if any were clear so I’m at least a little crazy.
I had 2 choices for speed work. 1.) Get on the treadmill (which would probably tell me 800 meters is 1000 meters and would run farther than I intended, more on that later) or 2.) take my speed work to the streets!
I found a short local street that is pretty much dead end in both directions and figured it would be perfect for speed work. The straightaway part of the street was over 800 meters so it was perfect and you could duck down any side street if you needed extra space.
The picture above is from google maps and did not look as pretty as this at all. In reality, it was dark, cold and the yards were covered with snow.
Pros of street speed work:
- The street is completely plowed so ice and snow are not a factor.
- Got my speed work in outside!
Cons of street speed work:
- Even though the street was a dead end there was still a lot of traffic.
- Too dark. Did speed work after work and it got dark fast! The street is not perfectly paved so it was hard to see dips, grooves, sewers etc.
- Because it’s a straightaway it’s a hard to tell where you are at. Lots of looking down at your watch to see your distance. Which was too dark to see and had to turn on the light on the Garmin.
- Times were slightly slower due to looking down at your watch to see distance, moving over for cars and watching where you were going.
- It got boring running the same street. Which I was surprised, I thought running on a track was pretty boring.
- Lots of weird looks from cars passing.
Hopefully, I will not have to resort to street speed work often, maybe I’ll bring a headlamp with me to see better. It is warming up this weekend so my next Track Tuesday should be on an actual track.
What do you do when you can’t do your speed work outdoors? Treadmill? skip it? street it?
My latest email from the Cleveland Marathon says 2 important things. 1.) Registration prices go up on January 10th! Register NOW! 2.) If you register by then you still get the early bird registration gift. Which is a shoe wallet! I’ve always been curious about using one of these.