Last week I talked about how I run a lot on the treadmill during the winter. I actually have only been outside once since Christmas Eve!!! Below I have shared a couple tips that help get me through running on the treadmill and maybe they will help you too.
- Put a towel over the treadmill screen. If you are constantly looking at the screen, it will feel like you are not making any progress. Trust me, this helps.
- Music, movies, podcasts, tv shows, daydream, etc. I like to start with a movie, preferably something I have already watched or something I don’t have to fully pay attention to. Then after the movie I might put on a tv show or just listen to music until I finish my run. This is also a good way to binge watch a TV show. Sometimes I will start watching a new show but will only let myself watch it on the treadmill.
- Stay positive. If you go into thinking it will suck and you will hate it, you will. This can be applied to all aspects of life. Instead go into it thinking “I’m still getting my run in” or “I just have to do 2 hours and then I will be done.” (Yes I understand how crazy that sounds)
- Play with the treadmill paces. I like to start out a slower pace and then increase by .1 MPH every mile, or 2 miles or whatever I feel that day. I will also set little goals for myself like wanting to get a certain number of miles in each hour. It’s little things like that that break it down a little easier.
- And if you are still struggling and you just can’t be on the treadmill for a long time, then split it up! Do half of your run in the morning and the rest in the afternoon or evening. I don’t recommend doing this for every run or long run but it is better than cutting your run short and not doing it at all.
If you have not registered for the Cleveland Marathon yet:
Prices Increase soon!
Keep a lookout on giveaways
Get 10% off with the code JMCLE10 (This code is good until the event sells out or race weekend)